Great news, everyone! We’ve released an update for Scout for iPhone with new features designed to make it simple to connect and share your trips with friends and family.
NEW FEATURE: Make it easy to meet up with a friend with Location Sharing & Turn-by-Turn Navigation without an App
Traditionally, when making plans to meet somewhere with a friend, the following series of steps are usually taken:
- You mutually agree on a place to meet
- Off the phone, both you and your friend do a quick online search to confirm the address of the place you'll be meeting at.
- Next, once the location has been confirmed, you both pull out your phone
- Next, you open up your navigation app
- You then type into the app the destination's address
- Then you start the drive
Seems like a lot of steps across a lot of different tools for a simple task, right?
We thought so too and that’s why the first feature we’ve added to Scout for iPhone makes it easy to share any address, place, or event with anyone – and then navigate there without a navigation app.
To share an address or place with a friend from within Scout, just:
- Find the place you want to share and tap the “Share” button
- Decide how you would like to share it: Email, Text, or on Facebook
When your friend opens it in their Android, iPhone or Windows 8 device, they'll then be given turn by turn, voice-guided navigation to that place – without having to download any app. From within their phone's web-browser (i.e. Safari, Google Chrome, etc.), a navigation route from their current position to the shared destination will be created and all they have to do to get there is hit “Drive.”
When clicked from within the Facebook mobile app, a navigation session will start directly in the app. Easy peasy.
NEW FEATURE: On your way home? Share your ETA with your loved ones!
In this new version of Scout for iPhone, we’ve also added a way for you to quickly share your estimated time of arrival to home, work or any location with friends and family members.
To send an ETA to someone, follow these steps:
- Hit the “Home” button on My Dashboard.
- Next, on the “Route Planning” screen, check the “Share ETA” box and tap “Drive.”
- You’ll then be brought to a message screen which you can send to anyone in your contacts, including family and friends.
If you want, you can even activate automatic alerts so that any time you launch a navigation route to home or work, your ETA is instantly sent to a desired recipient like your wife, husband, or kids.
Other Recent Updates to Scout for iPhone
Other recent updates to Scout for iPhone include a totally refreshed “My Dashboard,” as well as a new “things to do” menu, which makes discovering local events and activities like live music shows, sporting events, and kids activities, quick and easy.
So that’s a brief overview of the new features in the updated Scout for iPhone. Check it out and let us know what you think below!